350g / 12oz wholemeal flour
125g / 4oz pinhead oatmeal or normal oatmeal
2 tsp bread (US: baking) soda, flattened in your hand with the teaspoon to avoid lumps
1 tsp salt
1 tsp runny honey
300ml (1/2 pint) buttermilk
2-3 tblsp milk
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and gradually beat in the honey, buttermilk and enough milk to form a soft dough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into an 8 inch round and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a deep cross on top of the dough.
- Brush with a little extra milk and bake at 200°C (400°F) or gas mark 6 for 30-35 minutes.
- Test by tapping the base of the loaf. If is sounds hollow it is done.
- Cool on a wire rack.