50 to 60 g butter
1/2 onion, chopped
350g Arborio rice
1 glass brandy or vodka (optional)
1L vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
200g Organic Smoked salmon
- Heat the butter in a heavy-bottomed pot. Stir in the chopped onion and the rice until well crispy. Add the vodka or brandy and let evaporate.
- In the meantime prepare a light stock using vegetable stock cubes and/or carrots, tomatoes, celery and one potato.
- To make the risotto: add the hot stock to the rice, ladle by ladle, having the patience to wait for the liquid to be absorbed while you keep stirring vigorously. When it is nearly done - taste it until you get the right texture! - adjust the seasoning. Switch off the heat.
- Chop the salmon in thin stripes and add it to the rice. Leave the risotto to rest for a few minutes off the heat before serving.
- It is important that you add the salmon at the very last, and leave the risotto to sit for a few minutes off the heat, otherwise you risk losing all the flavour from the fish.